[pct-l] Snake bites

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Sat Oct 16 11:13:59 CDT 2010

Each year 8,000 people receive poisonous snake bites in the USA.
Many of those bites occur in low risk areas and I would venture to say
that if all 300,000,000 Americans lived in higher risk areas like the
California desert or along the PCT the bite count would increase
substantially
Let's see now if, as the article says, only 44% of the 8,00 bites are
unprovoked that would mean that there are approximately 3,500 unprovoked
poisonous snake bites in the USA.
Did you say that should not be a reason for concern because they are
hardly ever fatal and hardly ever cause severe
permanent damage?
I would like to point out again that the reason for the low fatality and
permanent damage is because the vast majority of snake bite victims
receive medical treatment within a few hours.
A hiker, 2-3 days removed from civilization, might not be so lucky.
The risk goes up dramatically if medical treatment to the bite victim is
delayed.
Let's see now, how many bear or lion attacks occur each year in the USA?
I believe it is somewhat less than the 8,000 poisonous snake bites, yet
hikers do seem to be concerned about bears and lions.

JMT Reinhold