[pct-l] Snake bites

Rod Belshee rbelshee at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 15 22:37:56 CDT 2010

Yes, I think the article helps provide perspective that the chances of an
unprovoked snake bite are extremely low, but indeed they do not tell you
what to do if you are the 1 in 300,000,000.

For me, I'll go with the statistics:  as long as I do not try to pick one up
or get close for that photo op while I'm drunk, then the odds of a bite are
so insignificant that I can focus on the much higher probability risks like
hypothermia, dehydration, falls, hitchhiking, etc.   Indeed I do not really
know what to do if I got bit (as you say the instructions are what not to do
if several days from care).

I guess it gets back to emergency training that the best emergency response
is prevention of the problem rather than response.  I take some comfort that
the statistics say as long as I don't do something stupid and provoke the
snake, then the there are lots of other things I should worry about more
than snakes.  And, even untreated bites are usually not fatal.  If I really
ended up with a bite, at least on the PCT the odds of another hiker close by
who can hightail it out for a rescue is an option. Not a great plan (I'm
pretty strongly in the camp that you are responsible for self and shouldn't
depend on others) but again that's the point of looking at real work
statistics: this just isn't one of the things I need to worry about.

On the other hand, I remember when I spent six months in India and found
advice that even though ten of the world's most deadly snakes are there, and
they are in freshwater, seawater, on the ground, and dropping from trees,
only 10,000 Indians die of snake bites a year against a population of 1
billion, so the problem is not that bad.  Those statistics didn't reassure
me at all!  Scaling for population, that risk is 3000 times the problem in
the US.  So, I'm not dismissive of snakes.  I just consult the statistics to
figure out what I really should worry about in any situation.

Steady