[pct-l] PCT Thru Hike

Halfmile list at lon.net
Wed Oct 13 16:05:22 CDT 2010

Dan,
Off the top of my head, here are some places with a reasonable shot at
bus/train/PCT access, although some may involve a hitch and they may
not all be the best places to wait a few days if the timing doesn't
work out exactly right.

Cajon Pass (Amtrak to Victorville, probably would need angel help,
also remember the Station Fire Detour not far to the N)
Tehachapi (bus from Bakersfield)
Walker Pass (bus from Bakersfield to Onyx then hitch)
Independence (Kearsarge Pass) (CREST bus, short hitch)
Tuoloumne (Amtrak, YARTS)
Sonora Pass (via difficult hitch from Bridgeport, CREST bus)
Truckee (airport shuttle from Reno)
Chester (bus service 3 days a week from Redding)
Dunsmuir (Amtrak)
Etna (bus from Weed or Dusmuir via Yreka)
Seiad Valley (bus from Weed or Dunsmuir via Yreka)
Ashland
Oregon Hwy 138 (Amtrak to Chemult, then probably a difficult hitch)
Cascade Locks (bus from Vancouver, WA)
Snoqualmie Pass
Stevens Pass (some hitching)

Some of these will involve lengthy travel times. You don't just fly
into Weed, CA and zip out to Etna on a bus an hour later, you are
looking at 2 or 3 days of travel with all the connections on trains,
planes and buses and many of the buses don't run every day. I have
actually done most of the list above, so if you need more details let
me know.

-Halfmile
www.pctmap.net