[pct-l] Emergency Devices

Paul Bodnar paulbodnar at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 30 19:52:58 CST 2010

> Just a comment, it is nice that the SPOT device lets friends and family know
> how you're moving along, but those who are really concerned and worried
> about you will want to hear your voice to feel the assurance of your
> well-being.

I used the first generation SPOT on my 2010 hike and was very pleased with the performance.  My family was able to track my progress in real time.  I activated the tracking function to assure everything was fine between checking in with an OK message.  There was no need for anyone to worry.  If I called every ten minutes with a SAT phone I think my family would think I was crazy... plus it would cost a fortune in fees.  My family was able to easily determine if I was moving by just connecting to the internet and viewing my SPOT web page.  They don't need to hear my voice to know I'm OK...  Obviously if I'm moving I'm OK, it not only tells my family I'm OK but also assures them my SPOT is working.  If there was any type of emergency I could press the Help button or in extreme cases press the 911 button.   The SPOT also provides the location with great accuracy, something not available with a stand alone SAT phone.  No additional fees except the flat $100/year for OK messages and $50/year for tracking.  The Spot Personal Tracker was free with a rebate when I purchased it with service activation, now it is listed at $99 http://findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=101 .  So looking at the cost to benefit ratio the SPOT wins over a SAT phone (Iridium 9555, $1395 http://www.gmpcs-us.com/IRIDIUM/Iridium-9555-Handheld-Satellite-Phone.htm ) for my needs.

The battery life for the second generation SPOT Satellite GPS Messenger is poor when considering tracking (3.5 days to 7 days) but good for OK messages (350-700).  I chose to use the heavier first generation SPOT Personal Tracker because of the better battery life when in tracking mode.  I replaced the 2 lithium AA batteries about every 3-4 weeks, going through about 12 batteries for my entire trip.  I always carried a spare set of lithium batteries.   I would send an OK in the morning and when arriving at camp.  I would also send an OK in the middle of the day if I wanted to mark something of interest.  All OK messages are recorded in an email for future review.  SAT phone messages are recorded as bills on your monthly statement.

I have only seen one thru-hiker with a SAT phone and that was in 09, but he didn't finish the trail.  Was it the weight of the phone or the calling fees that stopped him...no one will ever know.  I didn't see any thru hiker with a SAT phone this year.

Has anyone ever completed a thru-hike with a SAT phone?  If so please provide your input on how it worked on your successful thru hike.

Paul