[pct-l] Temp Ratings To Shoot For

enyapjr at comcast.net enyapjr at comcast.net
Tue Nov 30 11:11:18 CST 2010

> What kinda of temps does it typically get most nights?
> ...should I be looking at 40, 30, 20, or 10 degree gear?
> ...should have some thoughts on what temp ratings to shoot for.

No definitive straight answer here!  A lot depends on YOU and whether you're a warm,
average, or cold sleeper - and what you're willing to put up with...
The nights in SoCal and the Sierra can get 'cold' - in the twenties or even the teens
at times depending "on the weather" and location...
A very few thrus have used 40* bags the whole PCT - with some regrets and a few 'cold'
somewhat sleepless nights...
It seems the most 'popular' gear temp rating (for males) is 20*, then 30* lagging far
behind...

I was planning on 30*, but I'm a 'warm' sleeper (plus I plan on wearing dedicated sleep
clothes, microweight merino wool or silk longs) - but I also have 20* gear, too - that
decision will be made at the last minute...
The four extra ounces for the 20* may make for a much more restful night's sleep for
those cold nights - think I just talked myself into taking the 20*!  ;-)
Remember, it's much easier to cool off if you're too warm than it is to warm up after
you're too cold!

Good luck in your planning & trek!

Happy trails!!!
Jim (PITA)