[pct-l] Emergency Devices

Aaron Wallace aaron at skeeky.com
Sun Nov 28 21:09:04 CST 2010

Another option is the DeLorme PN-60w - SPOT combination (on sale now at REI).  In addition to the normal SPOT functionality (unlimited OK/Help/SOS messages for $100/yr.), this package allows sending (but not receiving) short free-form text messages (40 chars max.) to email/SMS and of course Facebook or Twitter.  Text messages are priced separately from the normal SPOT services--$.50 ea., 100 for $30, or 500 for $50.  You can also pre-enter 14 "canned" messages that are considered part of the normal SPOT unlimited service.

The DeLorme/SPOT combo is not as convenient or light as the second gen SPOT unit, but if you already plan on carrying a mapping GPS unit, the incremental weight difference isn't that much, and the included DeLorme topo maps seem decent enough.  Having used the older SPOTs in the past, there have been times when it would have been helpful to be able to communicate more nuanced messages than "still OK".  Ultimately it depends on how many friends/family are interested in monitoring not only your progress, but also your (brief) commentary, while you are on the trail.