[pct-l] Emergency Devices

dan kayser yoyodadio at msn.com
Fri Nov 26 15:51:22 CST 2010

I am planning a PCT NOBO thru hike in 2011.  I have always prefered to communicate to family that I am ok by calling using a calling card when I get to town.  This is my first long hike and my family is strongly encouraging me to carry something for emergencies.  My family would like me to carry some kind of emergency device.  They are willing to pay the cost.  I am curious as to what others have carried ( cell phone vs SPOT) and the pros and cons of these devices or others.

Thanks,

Dan