[pct-l] bug question

greg mushial gmushial at gmdr.com
Fri Nov 26 14:56:35 CST 2010

> Message: 6
> Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 12:51:18 -0700
> From: Kevin Cook <hikelite at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [pct-l] Pct-L Digest, Vol 35, Issue 63
> To: pct-l at backcountry.net
>
> Now that you mention this, I do recall hearing this before. I wonder if
> there are any negative side effects to high doses of B1? I don't really
> like
> Deet, but I'll use it if I have to. If a high dose of B1 will achieve the
> same result, that sure sounds preferable.
>
> Anyone know about 1/Thiamine?

Just a quick follow up:
1) in google'ng on this: the views seem bimodal - the universities all say
there is no demonstrated effect [though I don't find a single reference to
what B1 levels they were working with]; but the walkers/hikers/backcountry
types all say they either a) had less bites, or b) if they had the same
number of bites, they noticed them less.
2) again, the logger told us that B1-HCL has no effect, but to use the
B1-mononitrate, which we did, ie, know nothing about using the HCL form, or
at least no personal data
3) we were taking 100mg tabs - I'm trying to scratch the graymatter...  but
if I remember correctly, both chris and myself started off with 3x each, but
I found the 200mg/day did the job for me; he stayed on 3x all the way to
montreal
4) there is a 2-3 day startup time, ie, one has to build up the body
concentrations before one starts sweating it out - I remember we noticed
this; actually thought about stopping, but since we had bought a 100 tab
bottle, decided to stick it out... than magic happened, and taking the B1
each morning became part of the morning routine
5) in looking at what's available in terms of dose/tab sizes, the 100s are
the most common, but one can buy 250s and 500s. The fact that people are
taking such, ***my guess*** is that any od levels must be well above our 200
and 300mg/day - neither of us noticed anything that caused us to think about
stopping [in fact the only thing we noticed was a) the mosquitoes nolonger
were being a problem, and b) we smelled a little funny (other than dirty,
ie, once a week shower)... as I said - taking our B1 became part of our
morning getting camp broken, bikes loaded routine
6) on days we were riding (we tended to do 1 zero per week west of montreal;
I did more afterwards), we were covering approx 100 miles a day and since we
did things like riding the length of the rockies - Icefields Parkway,
Jasper->Banff - we did lots of sweating - I don't know how B1 would have
worked if we were just lazing about (out in the sticks - our zeros were in
town where there are less mosquitos)...  [one experience I remember well is:
in western ontario on the TransCan we ran into clouds of mosquitos (maybe 8'
in diam), and other than having to pick them out of one's teeth, no bites...
your basic, close one's eyes, duck down as much as one could and ride though
them dance]

YMMV HYOH
TheDuck