[pct-l] my first post: a test.

Austin Williams austinwilliams123 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 01:49:30 CST 2010

How many miles per day do you pan to hike (roughly)?  Are you thinking
10-15, or (more commonly) 19-21 , or (faster) 25+?

Or (same question, phrased a different way) how long do you plan to take
(roughly) to complete your hike?

The answers to these questions might help me be able to make better gear
recommendations.

By the way, your gear list looks pretty awesome so far!

I would recommend leaving the canister stove at home and going with either
and esbit or (more commonly) an alcohol stove.  That'll save you some weight
if you choose to do that.

BTW, the MHW typhoon jacket is freaking awesome.  Good choice.  There are
much lighter ones out there, but that jacket is rad.

2 X neo air.... you do like your good sleep don't you!  I (as f you couldn't
tell already) am a UL gram weenie.... and I think my knees might buckle
under the wieght of this thing!  LOL.  I recommend trading it in.  But then
again, I'm one of the guys that use a half-length closed cell foam pad
(4oz).  Just a thought.  Don't ditch anything you can't enjoy your hike
without.

And the tent is awesome... I love it.  But for a thruhike I'd bring a tarp
instead... you'd  cut about 2 lbs off your shelter weight.  Then again... it
*is* an awesome tent and frankly 26 pound split between 2 people is only a
13 pound base pack wieght for each of you.  You're already starting off on
the right foot.

I usually hike with an 8-9lbs base packwieght.... but if you pictured me
basically sleeping with just a little piece of plastic between me and the
ground, beating the midnight rain rain with a little squar of Tyvek, and
cooking over a burning match - you wouldn't be far off from the reality of
the situation.  :)
But I'm comfortable that way.  Your comfort zones (and your girlfriends) may
be different.

Good list so far.

Man you are in for an awesome 2011!
--
Austin Williams

www.PlanYourHike.com <http://www.planyourhike.com/>
Info on PCT gear, resupply points, maps, movies, etc.

"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway."
-John Wayne