[pct-l] bug question

Kevin Cook hikelite at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 14:05:29 CST 2010

Hello again PCTers

Like most people, I detest mosquitoes. Unfortunately, they are a reality on
the trail, so I have to prepare for them. I'm a hammock camper, so my sleep
system is very modular. I don't want to carry my bug protection the entire
length of the trail. I'll have it mailed to me when needed, and send it home
when it's no longer needed.

My question is, where and how long will I be hiking through "the hatch"?

The bug net component of the sleep system isn't too heavy, so I could carry
it the whole way. I'm just trying to shave off as much weight as possible.
The netting also helps in bad weather, so it has another use. If a storm
would otherwise be blowing water under the tarp, the netting can block a
great deal of the moisture. I don't like the traditional hammocker method of
draping a bug net over the ridgline of the hammock. This only protects me in
the hammock. I have a tarp with little patches of velcro around the
perimeter. I have net "walls" that I attach to the velcro. I prefer this
solution because it provides a bug free area to cook and pack and such.
Basically I don't have to go to bed to be sane. :P

Are the mosquitoes spread out intermittently along the trail? If so, would
it be a better idea to just carry the "walls" the whole way?

Thanks in advance for your feedback :)

--
~ Kevin
Soon To Be PCT Thru Hiker!