[pct-l] Too much clothing!?

Austin Williams austinwilliams123 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 13:14:44 CST 2010

Okay going off what you listed:

*What I would bring:*
[upper]
Sports Bra~ 4.1oz
Tank Top~ 3.7oz
Bandana (sweat)~ .9oz
"Tilley" Brimmed Hat~ 6.3 oz (this is heavier than some other options I have
but
not negotiable for deep sentimental reasons)  BUT ONLY BECAUSE YOU CAN'T DO
WITHOUT IT!  ;)
Sunglasses~ 1.1oz
Mid-weight wool base layer top~ 7.8oz
Pre-Cip Rain Jacket~ 12.5oz
Wool Beanie~ 4.1oz
Thin wool gloves~ .9oz
2nd set of hiking socks (injinji short)~ 1.6oz
Down Jacket~ 6.3oz
[lower]
Socks~ Injinji Short~ 1.6oz
Merrell Moab Ventilator w/super feet insoles~ 32.3oz
Hiking Skort~ 8.8oz (You mean hiking "skirt" or hiking "shorts"?)
Panties~ 1.1oz
Short Gaiters
Capilene 2 base layer bottoms~ 6.1oz (thinking about switching to wool?)
2nd pair panties~ 1.1oz

*What I would leave behind:*
Lightweight Long Sleeve Shirt~ 6.4oz
Watch
Sleep/camp pants~ 6.5oz
Sleep/warm socks (tall smart wool)~ 2oz
Fleece~ 11.9oz (thinking this is overkill w/other base layers & down jacket
in
camp, any thoughts?)  YES, THIS IS TOTALLY OVERKILL WITH A DOWN JACKET.
HEAVY TOO.
Flip flops~ 4.5 oz (if I can keep one luxury piece these are it... can't
stand
shoes and don't want to have to wear them in camp/breaks)  BUT HEY, IF YOU
REALLY WANT TO BRING EM', BRING EM!  :)

OTHER TIPS:
Thin polyester base layers weigh less than wool, and work just fine when
layered with your other gear (just in case you want to shave off a few more
ounces).
Don't skimp on gaiters.  Trust me.  :)  Try simblicity gaiters or dirt-girl
gaiters.  Both cheap, effective, and light.
Might look at http://planyourhike.com/clothing/index.html for some ideas
too.

Seems like you are doing well so far.  :)