[pct-l] TP & Cathole

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 22 13:06:11 CST 2010

Ann Marie,
I can agree with practically everything that you wrote. It is certainly best to
carry out all of your trash including TP. This should be quite possible for
hikers to do since they often hitch into towns. And I do carry out perhaps half
of mine depending on whether I know of a trash can somewhere up ahead. (With my
horse-companion, I mostly "live" on the trail.) But, I also know that it is
possible, responsible, and acceptable, considering the environment, to
properly bury human fecal waste (Don't we all dig cat
holes?) including bio-degradable TP (the only kind I use).  To me, what is most
important, is the location of your cat hole. How far is it from a water source
that others will certainly use?  What kind of soil - very important?  Did you,
can you, dig it deep enough?  Sometimes I have had to go as far as 600' to
800' from camp to find a proper spot. It is not just the distance that matters -
but rather whether the slope will lead towards a water source. If you choose a
location that slopes toward a dry gully that leads to a stream or lake, even if
it is 200' from that water source, a good rain might eventually wash pathogens
down into the water source.  That's why I sometimes have had to go so far to
find a suitable location. I am very fussy about where I camp and where to locate
my cat hole. That is also one of the reasons why I try not to camp where a lot
of hikers have camped. Those places are often polluted by unseen
germs. Squirting yourself off with water after pooping is a disgusting idea to
me. That fecal material will be right on the surface and invisible. I think that
is why hikers often get sick - camping with a group will have its risks.

Since I do not go into towns (I ride a horse - can't hitch) as hikers do, I
often take my "0" days near the PCT.  Once I locate a proper place for a cat
hole,  I return to it and dig another one beside it the next day. I have never
found that my first hole had been dug up by critters.
This is an observation that my hiker-Friends, who go into towns for "0" days,
can't make.

MendoRider/Ed Anderson