[pct-l] TP or no TP

Ann Marie dbanmrkr at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 21 19:04:23 CST 2010

> TP or no TP

smooth rocks
smooth sticks

<etc>

Okay, I get that some of you use organic TP or other trail matter than you consider more suitable as a matter of personal choice, but you are missing the point that some of us responsibly use "paper" TP alternatives and carry them out EVERY time.  If you don't use paper products, that's great....for you alone. But the very act of digging a cathole disturbs the environment and nearby plant roots. Most hikers understand that idea....and still realize it is the price we have to pay as hikers practicing LNT to hike the trails. However, I have to question why some of you insist on disturbing even more of the environment by (re-)moving rocks and/or leaves or whatnot to use as TP. We all know you have to bury them once you contaminate them with fecal matter....so why touch the stuff unnecessarily? Nature placed them where you found them.. Please leave the environment alone as much as you can do so responsibly. Carrying out used paper in an already-carried
 garbage bag is such a small price weight to pay. And we need to be one voice forward to convince all future hikers to do the same. Please stop offering what you think are viable alternatives. Maybe your own behavior needs to change to get with the times.