[pct-l] Camera

Kevin Cook hikelite at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 12:03:23 CST 2010

Lot's of excellent advice here. Some I disagree with though. I'll just make
a list of the important factors I would look for.

1. As was said above, look for a wide angle lens. They aren't as common as
they could be on inexpensive point and shoot cameras, but they are out
there.

2. I used to make sure my camera used AA batteries so it could share with
the GPS. Unless you're already planning to carry extra AAs for something
else, a camera with a proprietary battery is fine. Most should take a
thousand photos on a single charge, so just bring 2 and bounce your charger.
Here is where testing before you take it will help. Get the camera early and
experiment to find out how long the battery lasts. If you only get 5 days,
you might want a couple extra batteries.

3. Now to memory cards... As was said before, lots of little cards are
better. With all do respect to John, do NOT get a 16GB card. That will hold
thousands of photos! If it goes bad or gets lost, you lose thousands of
photos! Another advantage is the smaller ones are cheaper. I carry four 2GB
cards with me. With my DSLR, I can shoot ~800 RAW photos on one card. If I
had a 16GB card, that would be ~6400 pictures! So far, I've been lucky
enough to not lose any photos on a 2GB card, but I would be pretty upset to
lose 800 pictures. Imagine losing 6400!!!

Gary's tips about using the camera are good ones.

On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 9:54 PM, John Abela <pacificcresttrail2011 at gmail.com

--
~ Kevin
Soon To Be PCT Thru Hiker!