[pct-l] Thinking about doing PCT next year and seeking a potential partner.

Scott Bryce sbryce at scottbryce.com
Sat Nov 20 09:57:06 CST 2010

On 11/20/2010 2:46 AM, Ryan wrote:
> I'd be interested in finding a potential partner that would fit well
> with me.  I'm not looking for someone to be wedded to where we have
> to cling to eachother. I'm just looking for someone to watch my back
> as I watch theirs, and if anything more than that comes from it then
> it can, but it's not necessary.

With around 400 thru hikers attempting the trail, most of whom will be
starting out within a 4-week window, you will have that whether you
arrange to partner with someone or not.

Partnerships rarely last for the entire PCT. You will quickly find that
differences in hiking speed/style will make hiking together difficult.

OTOH, wherever you find yourself in that line of 400 hikers, you will be
watching the backs of the people ahead of you while the people behind
you watch yours. That is just the way things are done on the trail. And
once you find your rhythm, someone with the same rhythm and hiking style
may wind up partnering with you.