[pct-l] Charger

Kevin Cook hikelite at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 11:35:16 CST 2010

I appreciate all the feedback and ideas about how to charge electronics in
the backcountry. Solar is still an option, I just think the PEG will suit my
needs more. On MY hike next year, I need to know everytime I cross a mile
marker along the trail for a project I'm working on. This will require I
frequent use of the device. I know how to minimize battery use, ie turn off
backlight, turn off radios other than GPS, minimize the number of apps
running, etc.  I've seen the supplimental battery packs that I can carry to
give the phone another charge, but 4 AAs will only provide about 1.5 charges
of the iPhone at best. I'm assuming I will need nearly a full charge
everyday. Solar might be able to do it, but if the sunlight is less than
optimal, I have my concerns. Batteries could probably do it too, but how
many would I have to carry? Some sections between my resupply will be 7 or 8
days! Again, there is still the hassle of recharging all of them in town.
I'm less concerned with access to an outlet as I am concerned about the time
and effort. Recharging a LOT of batteries is a hassle. Then there is the
problem of making sure the charger is bounced ahead and available everytime
I need to recharge. I really do appreciate everyone's advice, but the only
batteries I will be carrying are some extra AAAs for my headlamp.

Btw, this isn't my thread. I just responded to someone asking about solar
options to charge their phone. Hopefully he has been reading all these
replies and gotten some good ideas. Until I find out the PEG does not
provide the energy it claims, that's what I plan to use, and you guys are
unlikely to change my mind on this one ;)

--
~ Kevin
Soon To Be PCT Thru Hiker!