[pct-l] Charger

Paul Bodnar paulbodnar at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 17 00:22:45 CST 2010

Hi Kevin,

On my hike I used AA batteries to supply all my energy needs.  But I had to power both my iphone, gps (Garmin 60CSX) and SPOT.  By utilizing batteries I was able to convert battery power to the iphone with a charging device and then use the batteries for the GPS and about every 3-4 weeks change out the batteries in the SPOT.   By having a unified system I reduced the complexity and saved on weight.  I purchased alkaline batteries in bulk for cheap, used lithium batteries as a backup and for my SPOT.  Both types of batteries could be used in the charger, lithium batteries performed the best and are very light but expensive.

If you only have an iphone to charge I would recommend carrying a unit specified charger.  I saw others with a devices similar to the  3GJuice Black 2.0 1800 mAh/2A DeLuxe Version iPhone/ iPod Battery Charger.  This is the way I would have gone if I was just carrying an iphone.  This device is reported to weigh only 1.6 ounces and cost $55.95 on Amazon with free shipping.  However I would look around for other chargers to make sure you get the best one.  This is only an example of what is available after a simple search.  I'm sure other thru-hikers can comment on other charging devices for the iphone.  The cost of these iphone chargers is substantially less than the reported PEG charger of $149.95 http://www.trailspace.com/blog/solar-chargers/ and a lot lighter.  You could buy two back up chargers and still save about $40 and about half a pound of weight.  Now that is a lot of weight....

I wouldn't be too concerned about charging up the iphone and chargers in towns.  I can't recall this being a problem at all for my thru-hike this year.  I would charge up my iphone in towns all the time without getting a hotel room.  It is amazing how many outlets are just available these days.

I hope this information helps you make a more educated choice on what is best for you.  The PEG looks like a good device but might not be the best for your needs.

Good luck on your planning.

Paul