[pct-l] Gear for late spring snow?

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Fri Nov 12 22:10:16 CST 2010

Good evening, Gary,

Thank you for your comments; let me add bit more explanation.  I’m not
primarily an alpine mountaineer -- I’m a hiker – but over many years I’ve
read the books, participated in the training, and hiked mostly alone in
alpine sections here in the Pacific NW.  My copy of “Mountaineering:
Freedom….”
is a second edition after my previous first edition disappeared somewhere.

I well understand the traditional recommendations for ice axe usage, and the
rationale behind those recommendations.  If I were conducting a class or
writing a book I would adhere closely to those recommendations because of
the cover associated with unanimity of “expert” opinion.  In my TrailJournal
writings, and here at PCT-L things are a bit different:  I only describe my
preferences and opinions without inference that anyone else should agree or
emulate.  This is consistent with a discussion group presenting a variety of
ideas rather than a bunch of people just reciting the book or regurgitating
what “everyone knows.”

Normal instruction is to carry the axe in the uphill hand with the pick
pointing rearward. Then, when one falls, the shaft is plunged into the snow
as far as possible leaving one on his/her side hanging onto the buried shaft
to stop a slide before it even begins.  Trying to substantially plunge the
shaft with every second step in anticipation of falling would make walking
very tedious indeed.

When  practicing the plunge maneuver during training the student walks on a
snowpack side-hill until the command is given then he/she yells “Falling!”
and plops onto the snow, simultaneously plunging the axe shaft.  Great – it
works almost every time once one gets the hang of it; ideally obviating the
subsequent need to reposition the rapidly-sliding body to perform a
classical arrest further downhill.

The problem is in an actual trail situation hikers become complacent, or
distracted, or unconcerned; then when a slip occurs the feet come out from
under the hiker so quickly that the shaft-plunge happens very poorly -- if
at all – and probably insufficient to stop a slide.  In that posture the
hiker is sliding downhill, with the uphill arm extended, holding onto the
head of the axe which is also pointing uphill and out of position for a
quick arrest.

The surprise aspect of a slide is nearly impossible to create for training
purposes, and if the slide isn’t a surprise any subsequent reaction is
contrived and not indicative of a real-world fall.  I don’t think there is
any good way of creating a surprise practice fall.

I’ve only made three “real” slide arrests; all three were minutes apart on
the same ice, and all three were performed with a trekking pole.  That’s not
recommended either.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09