[pct-l] Dealing with wet down clothing

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Wed Nov 10 14:18:15 CST 2010

Just a note regarding dealing with wet/damp down clothing:

On a recent Search and Rescue last Sunday night (a few notes on this on my
Facebook page) two of the four victims were soaked and needed dry and warm
clothing to wear while descending down the snow-covered cliff and out the
three miles to the trailhead in the snow storm near Echo Summit, hwy. 50,
Ca.. I gave my Mountain Hardwear Sub Zero hooded down parka to the tall male
and the Everest-styled, Absolute Zero full-body suit to the little female.
Both down garments got pretty soaked on the way out at 0300, but dried
really fluffy in a day of hanging out in the cabin with the heater on
(outside temps here in Tahoe still in the teens at night!). On the way out
the male said that he owned a Mtn. Hrdwr. down sweater (of course he didn't
bring it on a weekend hike where snow was forecast!), but that the Sub Zero
was so warm and toasty, he would have to buy one once he got back to the Air
Force Base. The girl, who was slightly injured, quite wet, hypothermic, and
exhausted, once in the suit, stated that she was warm and dry even though we
had to glissade the steep granite fields and "bush-whack" through
snow-covered tree branches most of the way to the trucks. She was so wasted
from being cold and fatigued that she was walking like a "zombie" the last
mile out, just one step in front of the other....

"Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
1106A Ski Run Blvd