[pct-l] Food

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 8 12:33:41 CST 2010

Brandon,
I always bring along a variety of non-perishable foods that don't require
cooking, for lunches ( I usually ate two lunches each day ) I carry some of
my lunch foods in my knapsack (since I rode a horse, I always wore a knapsack
containing what I would need to survive if I was ever separated from my horse).
 Here is the kinds of foods that I brought while riding most of the trail from
border to border:

Energy bars - my favorite is the Nature Valley bar Sweet and Salty Nut. That bar
is. to me the tastiest, and is also the highest that I have found in
calories/ounce - 142/ounce. On a warm day there will be some melting (but not
nearly as bad as Snickers) That is not a big problem - just lick it off the
inside of the wrapper. I also bring Snickers Almond (131 C/ounce) Nature Valley
Trail Mix (117C/O) and other bars for both calories and protein.

Nuts:  A wide variety of nuts. I especially like walnuts, and they are second in
calories only to the more expensive macadamia nuts (196C/O vs 199C/O). Planters
Dry Roasted Peanuts with Sea Salt are delicious, have good calories (160C/O) and
are a good source of  salt. Also in the nut category, I often brought along
peanut butter/tortilla rolled sandwiches.

Cheese:  I bring lots of Baby Bell cheeses in all three flavors. Be sure to
store them somewhere in your pack where they won't become crushed. I have never
had them spoil without refrigeration unless they have been crushed. Then mold
will begin to form along the cracks in the wax containment seal. If this
happened I just trimmed off the mold. I always purchase all of my food before
beginning my rides and then resupply myself ( by driving ahead and caching ).

Dehydrated fruit and Beef Jerky:  I brought a variety of dried fruits and a
small amount of jerky.

Drink:  I love Tang as a cold drink.

Have a great hike,

MendoRider