[pct-l] down jacket?

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Mon May 31 11:50:00 CDT 2010

Good morning, Lisa,

Using down jackets/shirts/sweaters can work well – and many hikers do so –
but that’s not the only way.  Some of my clothing practices are at:
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=263874

I really like down jackets/shirts/sweaters for cold weather – I have four of
them in my gear locker – but I don’t carry any of them for normal,
three-season PCT hiking.  The season isn’t particularly cold, meaning only
occasionally at freezing, or a bit below.  In the morning I put on my poly
pull-over, add my thin windshirt, and hit the trail as soon as I can after
crawling out of the warm sack.  Within twenty minutes I’ll probably have
shed both of them.  I don’t usually eat until an hour later when the sun is
well up and warming the day.

In the evening when I arrive at a campsite the pull-over may go back on for
the short while when I lay out my camp, but then I crawl in the sack and do
my paperwork chores.  I have very little “sit around camp” time to get cold,
but some people do -- particularly if they hike with a group.

For the circumstances I describe, down jackets/shirts/sweaters would do
equally as well – or better for you cold-blooded types – at no weight
penalty, but I haven’t found additional warmth necessary and high quality,
lite down garments are ruinously expensive.

Down-filled gear doesn’t have any great affinity for moisture: After all, it
originated to cover a swimming goose’s underside.  Down breathes well, and
will dry after being damp, but if it becomes quite wet it tends to clump,
becoming difficult to un-clump after it dries.  This can become a problem
late-season in the Pacific NW where it may be necessary to wear an
insulating layer under raingear – be it impervious or “breathable” -- for
extended periods of time.  This wetness and clumping usually occurs in areas
that get the least natural ventilation such as across the shoulders, on the
upper arms, and on one’s back.  Poly fleece works great under these
conditions:  If it becomes wet it will continue to insulate, and it will
eventually dry from body heat with no loss of its insulating properties.

It’s also good that poly fleece garments can be really inexpensive.  I
usually buy the no-name, generic items without zippers, pockets, or knit
cuffs and waistbands to reduce weight.  Buying them used from the thrift
store is really economical, and no-one I know looks for prestige, name-brand
labels on the trail.

Enjoy your planning,

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye