[pct-l] down jacket?

Lisa Freathy rainorshinecamper at yahoo.com
Mon May 31 01:33:10 CDT 2010

I am considering purchasing a down jacket (different from a down sweater??) for a thru hike next year. I am planning on using this for my camp warm layer and for sleeping, not for when hiking necessarily. I get cold easily and being cold makes me miserable. I love that down is light weight, packs down super small and keeps you very warm. I am concerned about it getting wet, not thrilled about the price tag and wonder if I need a camp jacket vs finding something  that can be used when hiking & in camp. I am not an UL but also want to be sensible about each ounce/item.

Do many carry a set of designated "camp clothes"?

Do are down jackets really a bit water repellent (as stated on some) or will they get wet (useless) quickly and easily?

I would love to hear of thoughts, experiences or alternate suggestions!

Thanks!
Lisa

"Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean."
~ John Muir