[pct-l] Hat Creek Rim

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Sun May 30 18:00:02 CDT 2010

Good afternoon, Blue Butterfly,

I elected to leave Firefly’s place at Old Station mid-afternoon with the
idea to climb up onto the rim in the evening’s cool, camp for the night,
then continue hiking in the morning’s cool.  Just atop the rim there is a
water cache near the Hwy-44 rest stop/observation point that’s maintained by
Firefly but I didn’t have to use any of that water because I encountered a
big crew of wildland firefighters at the rest stop and in exchange for
hiker-stories they offered me all the water I wanted to drink and carry.  A
few miles further on I camped in the sagebrush a short distance off the
trail.  There was lots of cattle – and cow pies – all across the Rim, but I
could have camped at any of hundreds of places; it’s like much like any of
the semi-arid rangeland in the west.

After Cache-22, and after dropping off the Rim, the brush was a bit thick
for a few miles, but after that the only camping limitation was further on
as a result of private ownership.

I enjoyed that section.  It was 4 July when I crossed -- and it was hot --
but nowhere near oppressive.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09