[pct-l] oregon pct in June

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Mon May 24 17:27:21 CDT 2010

Good afternoon, Wiz,

Beginning 11 June you will initially be encouraged by bare trails much of
the way south out of the Columbia Gorge, but the PCT very quickly climbs to
the 4,000 ft. Benson Plateau  where you will likely encounter snowpack.  If
you alternatively choose to use Eagle Creek, the first 8 miles is at low
altitude and snow-free, but it also quickly climbs up the northern aspect of
a deep, narrow, shady canyon where there will probably be snow before Wahtum
Lake.  The snow depiction at
http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/ftpref/support/water/westwide/snowpack/wy2010/snow1005.gifshows
the snowpack in N. Oregon to be about average.

PCT MOM sent you a link for the Snotel sites.  The “Blazed Alder” site is
typical of Benson Plateau, but a bit west near the Bull Run Reservoir.  Further
south after crossing the road at Lolo Pass the trail begins a climb up Mt.
Hood’s skirts.  After some ups and downs on generally shaded and
snow-covered northwestern aspects the PCT eventually crosses about ¼ mile
above timberline lodge at 6,100 ft.  The conditions at Timberline can be
seen at:   http://www.timberlinelodge.com/conditions/  where they are
currently reporting a 151” depth.

There should be hiker tracks on all or part of this distance from the
Columbia; there are lots of whocko, all-season hikers in the area.  An ice
axe is not usually necessary because there aren’t many big, steep, open
hillsides to traverse.  If you slip you would probably snag in tall brush or
hit a tree before you could deploy the axe for an arrest.  Besides, there
will probably be lots of postholing and two legs, up to the crotch in snow,
is a pretty good arrest.

That early in the season the southern Sandy River ford near Ramona Falls
could be a bit of a problem, particularly in the afternoon when the day’s
melt is draining.  The PCT Communicator magazine arrived today with a photo
of a woman crossing a temporary foot bridge at the Sandy River ford, but
those logs wash away in the spring and probably will not have been replaced
by the time you get there.  There could also be about 10 times more water.  The
first crossing at Sandy’s Muddy Fork has a relatively high foot bridge and
should be OK.

South of Mt. Hood the trail will become increasingly walkable, even though
partially covered.  Note on the NRCS site that Central Oregon is below
average in snowpack but the potential for mosquitoes is great.  Much of the
time in June and early July I find myself wearing shorts and a tee-shirt,
sweating in bright sun while walking on 2-10 ft. of snowpack, all while
being eaten alive by mosquitoes.  The aggravation of that situation is not
fully compensated by its novelty.

Good luck,

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye