[pct-l] Follow-up to the earlier GPS discussion

Gary Schenk gwschenk at socal.rr.com
Thu May 20 18:57:09 CDT 2010

On 5/20/2010 4:39 PM, Len Glassner wrote:
> On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 4:18 PM, Gary Schenk<gwschenk at socal.rr.com>  wrote:
>> On 5/20/2010 3:34 PM, Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com wrote:
>>>
>>> But I didn't have or know how to use a GPS. So instead I relied on my
>>> watch. After a few weeks I knew what my average pace was. With the
>>> data book and guide book and my watch, I could pass a point of
>>> interest, check the time, check for the next point of interest and
>>> then calculate the time it would take to get there. At the appointed
>>> time, I could look around me for the point of interest. I could be
>>> within 5 minutes accuracy on a regular basis this way. I came to rely
>>> upon this means of navigation almost entirely.
>>
>> Yes! A watch is a very overlooked navigation aid. You did great to
>> figure that out on your own.
>>
> Is this navigation or after the fact notification of a navigation
> mistake?  Doesn't work so well when something modifies your pace, like
> snow, or blisters.

This is navigation. Say there is a canyon you need to turn into, you
know from your map it is a half mile away. Knowing it will take you
about 10-15 minutes to hike that distance, your watch becomes a valuable
navigation aid, particularly in complicated terrain.

Knowing your pace in different conditions comes with experience.

Gary