[pct-l] Follow-up to the earlier GPS discussion

Gary Schenk gwschenk at socal.rr.com
Wed May 19 22:36:04 CDT 2010

The GPS system calculates the position of the receiver relative to the
center of the earth. Then a coordinate position is derived based on a
mathematical model of the Earth.

The vertical coordinate, NAVD 88 elevation, is derived on the position
of the receiver relative to the equipotential surface, instead of
relative to sea level as the NGVD 29 datum. That is a surface where
gravity is the same everywhere. It is a very uneven surface. For
elevations to be fairly accurate, it has to be well defined.

In, say, Los Angeles, it is very well defined and surveyors can obtain
sub-centimeter accuracy with GPS. In the heart of the Sierra Nevada, it
will not be as accurate because the equipotential surface has not been
as densely mapped as LA.

In southern California the elevation difference between the old datum
and the new one is around 3 feet in most places.

I hope you are all totally confused now. :-)

They have done amazing things with the software on cheap handheld GPS
receivers and they can obtain results that instruments costing tens of
thousands could not obtain in the not too distant past.

Still there are limits, but a hiker isn't going to really notice much in
the way of error in her GPS. Those errors are glaring to a land
surveyor, but of no consequence to hikers.

Gary