[pct-l] FOOD

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Tue May 18 08:31:00 CDT 2010

Hi Jesse,
If you get the guide book there is good information in there about
resupply locations. It's not well organized for easy finding, but it
seemed pretty well accurate to me. Yogi's town guide is also very
useful.

In my opinion, you could shop most places with the exception of Elk
Lake. As long as you were not too picky about your food. Most places
had at least some liptons, poptarts, energy bars or other packable
things. Even some of the smaller places. It may be expensive but
postage and package pick-up fees are also expensive.

I did what Yogi's book said which was to shop in Ashland and mail
packages through Oregon. That simplifies things, but I spent a lot of
money sending myself food I could have bought when I picked up my
box. Stuff like cookies and candy.

I found people in Oregon to be very kind and to know about the trail
enough to offer rides even without asking sometimes. There is also a
kind man who can help you with emergencies through most of southern
mid-Oregon. His number was posted on the trail and I just happened to
meet him in a few places, too.

Useful links:
http://blackwoodspress.com/blog/
http://www.planyourhike.com/planning/resupplypoints.html
http://www.pcta.org/planning/before.asp

On May 17, 2010, at 9:19 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> Hello!
>
> My names Jesse, and my girlfriend and I plan on hiking a long
> section of the
> PCT in june.  We are going from north california, to northern
> oregon.  I had
> a few questions about re supply.  First of all is it imperative
> that we send
> ourselves food?  I have never done this on any other trail and am a
> little
> leary about the planning aspect of it.  Secondly, if your answer to
> question
> #1 was no, then how safe is it to hitch hike to towns.  Im also a
> littel bit
> leary about this seing as to my inexperience with it.  ANy input
> you could
> give me or directions you could point me in would be awesome.
>

> Warmest Regard

Books I've written:
~ Piper's Flight
~ Adventure and Magic