[pct-l] Washington Section K - PCT vs Detour

Tom Griffin griffin at u.washington.edu
Tue May 11 22:15:26 CDT 2010

With all due respect, I hiked over Little Giant (and Boulder Pass) on
the detour about two years after the washout blocked the main trail.
Little Giant is tough and it is dangerous for horses, but it is not that
deadly for hikers.  You can fall off the Knife's Edge on the PCT near
White Pass and break your neck pretty easily, too. The trail over Little
Giant is NOT graded like the PCT, but there are probably a hundred hiker
who go over it every year. The Napequa Valley is one of the most
beautiful places in my home state--so trudging over Little Giant has its
rewards. To see photos, check out my PCT 2005 trip report:

http://staff.washington.edu/griffin/pct2005/daysix.html

Tom "Bullfrog" Griffin
Seattle
Hiking the Great Hits of the PCT Since 2002