[pct-l] Warner Springs theft...Trail Justice

hiker97 at aol.com hiker97 at aol.com
Thu May 6 01:26:39 CDT 2010

Unsupported JMT Snow Bunny Reinhold writes: Stevie is right; there are lots of strange characters on the trail. You only need to look at "SWITCHBACK" to know that this is true. I mean you have to be a real strange cat to enjoy raiding and plundering innocent hikers.
Switchback replies: Innocent hikers? What innocent hikers? There are no innocent hikers only victims to be exploited. During hiking season the opportunities go up exponentially. You can pick and choose with discretion. You only pick off the most desirable victims that will fetch the highest fees at auction. Of course there are some who are low hanging fruit. They set themselves up by their naivety.

This is why I always dread hikers who carry some pepper spray --- those who have read my Super-Secrets of Backpacking flyer and know the inside hiking secrets. Pepper spray is good against most people and animals. REI sells a red canister of it for grizzly bears. That thing puts out a big reddish cloud. I carry a small canister I got at the local police equipment store. I carry one on my key chain and another in my hiking belly pack.

Most animals are scared of me, so I do not have to worry about bears, saber-tooth mountain lions, and Big Foot. But the Cougar Terminator females running around on the trail are a different matter. The consider Trail Pirates to be a prize catch.