[pct-l] GPS maps

Yoshihiro Murakami completewalker at gmail.com
Sun May 9 17:18:16 CDT 2010

Thanks Halfmile

Last year, I had bought a little different version, and failed.

> For a Garmin GPS I would recommend buying the the Garmin TOPO U.S. 24K
> West DVD. This includes 24 K maps of of all of California, Oregon,

Yes I know, but I have not yet tried.

> I would also recommend loading my half mile waypoints using Garmin's POI loader:
> http://www.pctmap.net/download/p/waypointdl.html
> http://www8.garmin.com/products/poiloader/

The California topo, found in GPSFileDepot is excellent, very
beautiful, and exact trails are contained. and the free routable maps
contains many city informations. I had combined two maps into one. I
have not examined it closely, but Yosemite, Lone Pine, San Francisco,
Los Angeles, and the trail near the Crabtree ranger station is right.

> Users of newer Garmin GPS units like the Dakota and Oregon (or section
> hikers only needing sections of the PCT) can load my tracks of the
> PCT:
> http://www.pctmap.net/download/p/trackdl.html
>
> The popular 60CSx and VistaHCx do not have the capacity to store large
> amounts of track data, however.

The sendmap20.exe cannot handle over 2.0GB file, but the largeness of
combined map of whole California was only 1.4 GB.  I may need not to
buy other software.

The 60Csx recognized 8 GB memory card. I don't know it can save large
track data  or  not. Usually, I do not save track data. I uses GPS as
a map. I glance  GPS once or twice in a hour. Most of the time, GPS is
powered off.

--
Sincerely
Hiro    ( Yoshihiro Murakami )