[pct-l] Fires on the PCT

Cris J cj5w4wd at live.com
Sun May 9 08:25:36 CDT 2010

I wanted to send my thanks to Capt Bivy for his bold and appropriate action at Fred Canyon, putting a stop to to "stupid" being committed by a thru having an illegal fire.  Too much ignorance of why this is a problem in So CA.  Maybe the PCTA can attach something to the thru permits that gets the message across since they don't seem to believe what the campfire permit trys to convey.

And on the subject of cannister vs alcohol stoves (yes, I'm just a sectioner, and yes, I've use both)  I weighed my alcohol setup for 10 days vs my JET Boil setup with small canister (I boiled 2C AM, 2C PM and even washed my clothes in the Bear Can twice, 10 days near Yosemite-Echo Lake).  JET Boil was only 2.5 oz heavier!  Alcohol is not worth it, IMO because of the dangers of spillable ignited fuel that you cannot see.