[pct-l] Volunteers needed for UCSD High Altitude Study conducted at White Mtns

Laura Newman newmanonthepct at gmail.com
Thu May 6 19:32:35 CDT 2010

Hi All,

I wanted to forward an announcement for a research study which is looking at
the effects high altitude on the body.  If you are interested, please
contact Zach directly at either of the emails listed in the cc line of this
email:

Summer is here again and along with it comes the process of data collection
for our hypoxia study at White Mountain Research Station.  My name is Zach,
and for those of you who have not heard, I have taken over the position of
Dr. Dubowitz's research associate from Erin.  I am currently in the
preliminary stages of planning for this summer.  Thus I wanted to touch base
with all of our potential study subjects already on record to see who would
be available/interested in participating again.

We start taking subjects up to White Mountain in the beginning of July.  As
you may know, our study really consists of 4 separate but equally important
parts, a baseline scan (just scan, not hypoxic), a 2-day trip to White
Mountain, a 7-day trip to White Mountain, and a 6-hr study (during which you
breath low oxygen, altitude simulating, gas from a tank for 6 hrs, outside
the scanner).

We would really like subjects to be available for the baseline, 2-day, and
7-day studies, at least.  These will be performed over the course of the
summer, since it is necessary to have at least 4 (ideally 6) weeks between
trips to altitude.

During the trip we provide transportation, food, accommodation, and you're
free to do as you like while at White Mountain.  We then, drive you back to
UCSD and put you in the scanner for 2 scanning sessions lasting roughly 1
hour each.  During the car ride from White Mountain to UCSD, you will need
to wear a mask connected to a tank, from which you will be breathing low
oxygen gas (same as altitude conditions).  Perks include compensation and a
beautiful, relaxing stay in the Sierra Mountains.

If you have questions feel free to email me with them.  Otherwise, please
email me to let me know:
(1) Would you be interested participating in the 2-day & 7-day trips (if you
are this requires that you also consent to a baseline scan)?
(2) Would you be interested in participating in the 6-hr study (only if
participating in the other 2- & 7- day studies)?
(3) Times/dates you can (if interested) participate in the various studies.
The data collection season is from July to October.

Enjoy,
Zach

--
Zachary M. Smith