[pct-l] Canister Stove

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Thu May 6 18:14:34 CDT 2010

Steve,
My Jetboil is quite stable. It comes with broad base folding plastic legs that snap to the bottom of the cannister ( the spread is about 8.5"); the cannister's weight becomes ballast. The stove itself is very lightweight, including the stabalizer legs, it weighs only 5.5oz. In my nearly six months on the PCT, and since I mostly lived on the trail,  I probably cooked around 300 meals. The Jetboil has never flared up nor have I ever knocked it over. Of course, any of these small stoves can be knocked over if the cook is not careful.  I have never had a leak.  If you did have a leak you would most likely smell it as the fuel has a garlic-like odor - you couldn't miss it.  I like that this stove is so simple to light - you just turn on the gas and push a button.  You can easily adjust the flame - so you can simmer.  Being able to simmer greatly broadens your choices on what you can cook.  With an alcohol stove it's, as described, ALL
 or nothing. Therefore, you are very limited as to your choices of what you can cook.  An INVISABLE flame can be outright dangerous.  Over the years tent fires and even forest fires have been started by users of alcohol stoves.

 No matter what kind of stove is chosen a wind shield is both necessary and worthwhile as it saves time and therefore fuel - and therefore weight. I made mine from the thicker aluminum foil that caterers use.  It weighs about 2 oz and is well worth it's weight.

I just weighed my cook kit. It weighs 23 oz. This uncludes the stove, stabilizer, 1.5 litre insulated cook pot, 1 pint aluminum Cascade cup,  plastic dish, spoon, spork.

Obviously, hikers on the PCT sucessfully use several kinds of stoves to cook.  Some don't even cook.  I would have a hard time not having my Swiss Miss Hot Chocolate Sensation with lots of Nido powdered whole milk twice a day.

I have to admit that I don't have a lot of experience using small lightweight stoves of any kind in the wilderness. I have had a white- gas- burning Primus for years and have rarely used it as it is a "pain in the butt" to start.   Prior to my PCT ride (for the past half century), virtually all of my wilderness cooking has been over a wood fire. For several reasons, this would not work on a PCT journey.

Steve, ouestion:  Are you also a kayaker from brooklyn?  I know someone who is an ardent kayaker who works in N.Y.City and lives on the Jersey side.  His name is Joe F.  Do you know him?

MendoRider