[pct-l] Canister Stove vs. Alcohol

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Thu May 6 15:31:01 CDT 2010

Good afternoon, Kathi,

Without knowing exactly what stove you have it’s hard to be too specific
with help because the little alcohol stoves tend to fall into two broad
categories:  One is a “contact” stove where the pot is intended to sit
directly on the top of the stove after a short warm-up period.  These
usually are of a single-wall design and are the very lightest.  My example
is a SuperCat stove which weighs about 0.25 ounce.  Since the stove must
rest directly on top to make a sort of seal, and since the little can is of
such a small diameter, pot stability is a real problem in the field.  I find
myself having to be extremely careful even on a flat concrete surface, and
the pot must be centered exactly on the stove.  As an advantage, this stove
doesn’t require a separate pot stand – thus offering a weight savings.

The other type of stove burns best when the pot is spaced about an inch up
from the top of the stove.  They usually have a double-wall,
can-within-a-can construction.  A support of some kind is necessary to
properly position these stoves.  My favorite stove of this type is the CAT
stove which is easily made from a large and a small aluminum cat food can.  I
use a separate 1.3-ounce wire support stand that can be seen at
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=166296   While some type of pot
support is necessary, to save weight I have used three rocks positioned
correctly, or three metal tent stakes pushed into the ground the correct
depth. The windscreen is just folded of several thicknesses of aluminum foil
and weighs about 0.4 ounces.  A windscreen is more difficult to use when the
pot is on rocks.  An advantage of stoves that use a stand is they can be
turned over, and their bottoms can be used to burn solid fuel such as Esbit
or trioxane as an optional fuel.

I’ve used many types of stove, and none of them compare favorably to the
simple alcohol stove.  They are very light, fuel is readily available, they
have exactly no moving parts, and they are essentially free for the making
with your own ten thumbs.  About the only shortcoming is their poor ability
to “simmer”, but I – like most other hikers – don’t simmer anything.  The
stove is full-on to get the water hot, and then it’s off.  When I’m looking
for foods in the supermarket, and a box says, “…simmer for 10 minutes…” it
goes right back on the shelf.

After having said all that I must admit that in the last several years of
hiking I haven’t taken any kind of stove.  I just eat cold food to avoid the
weight, the necessity of clean-up, and – significantly -- the possibility of
starting a wildland fire.

Enjoy,

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye