[pct-l] Canister Stove vs. Alcohol

giniajim jplynch at crosslink.net
Thu May 6 11:03:18 CDT 2010

I use an alcohol stove exclusively.  It does require some care, but to me the weight savings is worth it.  You do have to find or make a level spot for it.  You have to figure out when the flame is "lit" (I use a little twig or piece of grass to avoid burning my self (I have burned my self when I didn't realize the flame was going!  But only once; I'm a fast learner!).  My stove came with a wire frame "cage" that easily holds up a small pot, and a tin base the holds the stove and stabilizes the wire cage.  A wind screen is essential.  I didn't build mine but got it from one of the purveyors of these things.  Hope this helps!