[pct-l] Prepared for weather

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sun May 2 17:33:18 CDT 2010

On May 2, 2010, at 2:46 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> Radar wrote:
>>
> I would be curious to understand more about how hikers find themselves
> unprepared.  Is it because they never got the message about weather
> in SoCal
> this time of year or is because they choose to ignore or discount the
> message?

The thing with backpacking is that the reasonable thing to do (as in
what would you really do) is to not be out there when it's bad.
There's no gear, light or heavy, that substitutes for a warm, dry
building. So just because people are finding their way to warm
buildings to stay and wait for weather to improve isn't a sign of
poor judgment but of good judgment.

Funny how people aren't usually as quick to criticize people who
struggle with inadequate preparation for the heat. And yet those
people are showing similar signs of unpreparedness and ill-equipment
for the conditions, not to mention a complete misunderstanding of how
to handle the heat that could be life-threatening. But we're all so
much more understanding of that, aren't we?

Books I've written:
~ Piper's Flight
~ Adventure and Magic
~ Santa Barbara Hikes