[pct-l] The Best Huckleberries

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sat May 1 15:38:49 CDT 2010

On May 1, 2010, at 9:08 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> Even though I?m an admitted left-brain engineer -- practical,
> analytical,
> and pragmatic

Steel-Eye, even though you are a left-brain engineer, you are a poet
at heart. About huckleberries and sleeping outside.

In my opinion, the best berries of them all are thimbleberries. When
I was nearing Canada and feeling the pull to go home, thimbleberries
stopped me in my tracks. Any 30-mile day I wanted to put in had to
wait until I ate my fill. I could be in the biggest hurry, post-
offices could be closing imminently, real town food could be calling
me unmercifully, but I wouldn't go on until I ate all the
thimbleberries I could reach. I didn't care about leaving some for
anybody behind me. They were manna from heaven, the best tasting
fruit I've ever had.

Books I've written:
~ Piper's Flight
~ Adventure and Magic