[pct-l] ADZ growing

Matthew Edwards hetchhetchyman at aol.com
Mon Mar 29 22:53:32 CDT 2010

I have no knowledge of "Trail Days" but many of my buddies on the PCT last year told me how huge an event it had become. I wonder how Trail days began and what growing pains the event went through?
Last Years ADZPCTKO had a large crows to be sure but it still maintained a "grass roots" feel. All the goings on were quite voluntary. I really liked Dicentras Food Talk, the "Ancient" gear auction thingy was entertaining. The slideshows were awesome and very motivational. Someday perhaps the ADZ will outgrow Lake Morena. Ya know, it's just my opinion, but so what if it does get big like Trail Days. It is still a voluntary event.
The trail is so huge in length and scope that 3 days of 600 folks celebrating all things PCT to me seems quite appropriate.
Besides, where else can you learn the Super Secrets of Ultralight backpacking like Dehydrated Water?
One of my fondest memories of ADZ 2009 was just sitiing in the grass with my newfound (100 miles together) trail tribe eating BBQ.
I originally thought the PCT would be this Solitary journey, that we would all be "in our own shells" so to speak. That first hundred miles to Warner Springs followed by the KO taught me I had greatly underestimated the depth of kindness in peoples hearts and how important and meaningful it would become to me on the trail.
Never turn down a good thing. In my opinion the ADZPCTKO is a very good thing indeed.
-Iceaxe

HikeStrong2010.com Benefits Cancer Research
Sent on the go from my Peek