[pct-l] Photos and Media Storage

Matthew Edwards hetchhetchyman at aol.com
Mon Mar 29 14:57:32 CDT 2010

Hi Psycho! (Love the Trailname!)
I used a Canon 590 compact digital camera last year. To my surprise I was able to fit all my pictures (nearly 2000) on one SDHC 4 Gig card.
Mostly I shot 2 megabyte or smaller pictures and that was enough resolution for me.
I would also occasionally download my card and have a picture dvd rom made in larger trail towns on the PCT. Then I mailed to cd home and that way If I lost the camera or card I would still have some of my trip photos. I think it was like 11 bucks to make a dvd in Bishop and 20 bucks worth of dvd's by the time I reached Mt. Shasta. The folks back home sure got a kick out of my dvd's too!
After that I just trusted that my SD card would make it. I never did erase any images and in fact still have the card with all my 2009 PCT photos intact.
I don't know how old your camera is but I ran into a problem before my hike last year. I bought the SDHC 4. Gig card before I realized my camera was too old to use it. I went to the camera store and the cheapest solution was to buy a new camera.
The Canon 590 uses AA batteries and is pretty light.
Anyhow just make sure your camera supports the larger capacity memory cards before you buy them cause many places have a no-return policy on them.
-Cheers Iceaxe

HikeStrong2010.com Benefits Cancer Research
Sent on the go from my Peek