[pct-l] Lighten your pack the JMT Reinhold way

hiker97 at aol.com hiker97 at aol.com
Sun Mar 28 08:33:05 CDT 2010

Unsupported JMT Snow Bunny Reinhold wrote: To all those, concerned about heavy food and pack weight......did you ever consider "GRAZING"? There are lot's of meadows along the trail. You might, however, have to carry a few nuts to get you through the desert.
Switchback replies: This is very weak …… the "lighter the pack, the more fun" crowd. What rubbish. I remember very clearly in the early 1990's carrying a 65 pound pack out of Crescent Meadows on the High Sierra Trail. No problem at all. Simple. Of course, at my advance age, I cannot do that anymore. But in my late 40's it was no problem. Now look at the modern "backpacker". What a bunch of wimps. The great Sierra pioneer, Norman Clyde, was known as the "pack that walked." He regularly carried an 85 pound pack and walked people into the ground.

I say there be a contest at the April Kickoff for the thru-hikers with the heaviest pack with a really neat prize. These persons should be crowned "King and Queen" of the Kickoff.