[pct-l] North Cascades Reroute

Andrea Dinsmore zaqueltooocool at gmail.com
Sat Mar 27 13:28:09 CDT 2010

*For those new hikers who don't know us yet........we are the trail angels
up in the Skykomish/Baring, WA area. I am getting calls on which route to
take when heading North out of Steven's Pass. Your next resupply will be
Stehekin. There's been a difference of opinion between the Forest Service
recommendations and the actual route the hikers are taking. The choice is
yours. The closer you get to the area the more hikers you will talk to and
will be able to see what the SOBO are doing. *
**
*Below is the update to our web site.*
**
*www.dinsmoreshikerhaven.com *
**
*PCT MOM*

**
*THE ORIGINAL PCT OR THE DETOUR **WHICH ROUTE SHOULD I TAKE TO STEHEKIN ??*

*I can not advise you on whether to hike the ORIGINAL PCT or to hike the
DETOUR route. I have not been on the trail.  My advice is to talk to all the
SOBO and find out what they did and where the problem areas are. I can only
relay the information I get back from the past hikers who stay here. Most
NOBO hikers since 2007 have been using the ORIGINAL PCT.  All NOBO hikers in
2009 took the original PCT out of Steven's Pass. Last year 4 SOBO tried to
use the REROUTE and had to back track to Trinity Trail head and hitch out to
Hwy 2. Some kind of massive blockage which made the trail impassable at that
time. There is also a new route north from Snoqualmie Pass. It's called
"Gadget's Route. Goes by Goldmeyer Hot Springs.  **Gets you away from the
burned out area. *

*Below is what the Forest Service is saying is the route they want you to
use between Steven's Pass and Stehekin. *

*Six of the seven bridges that were destroyed in flood events over the last
several years in the Glacier Peak Wilderness have been reconstructed. The
last remaining bridge, gapping the Suiattle River, is slated for
installation in mid July 2010, weather permitting. The new bridge site has
been moved about 3 miles west of its original location. The 3 miles of trail
leading up to the bridge is also planned for construction in 2010 by a
Forest Service trail crew with the support of the Backcountry Horsemen of
Washington and The PCTA. The PCT has not been thoroughly maintained for
several years due to lack of access. Trail crews will be on the ground all
summer with hopes to bring the Trail up to standard before the season is
over. Therefore, the reroute is still in effect for the 2010 hiking season,
with hopes of opening the original route for the 2011 hiking season. The
Forest Service will continue to log out the Temporary Detour throughout the
closure period and was able to brush particularly bad sections in2009. The
trails along the detour route are not constructed and maintained to the same
high standard as the PCT. Users can expect high fords until mid August, and
trail sections that are steep, rough, brushy, and difficult to follow. These
trails require a higher skill level for hikers. Stock users are advised to
trailer between Steven’s Pass and the Buck Creek trailheads. Transportation
options will be posted here when they become available. The sections of the
detour going from Boulder Pass to the Chiwawa River Road included very poor,
narrow tread on exposed side hills and would be considered impassible by
most stock users. Please visit
http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/wenatchee/conditions/pct/ for more information.*