[pct-l] Post office

Ken Powers ken at gottawalk.com
Wed Mar 24 17:02:58 CDT 2010

from USPS website:
General Delivery is available for customers if carrier service or a PO Box
is not an option. Individual mailpieces will be held for up to 30 days and
can be conveniently picked up by presenting identification. This is also a
great option if you don’t have a permanent address. To find which office is
designated for General Delivery at your location, please contact your local
Postmaster.

My comments:

The address is just:
Your Name,
General Delivery,
Town, ST, zip code.

As mentioned before you probably will need a picture ID to retrieve your
mail.

General Delivery is usually at only one Post Office in each town/city. Not
normally a problem on the PCT.

Small Post Offices may not have room to hold packages for 30 days. I suggest
you write or call the  postmaster to see what that post offices policy is.

We have found that postal employees (and proprietors of other places) we
have to which we have mailed packages are helpful and sometimes will bend
their normal rules for hikers. But please be courteous and thankful to them
so that the hikers behind you will get that same great service!

Ken