[pct-l] Packa vs. Parcho

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Wed Mar 24 10:11:02 CDT 2010

Good evening, all,

I looked at both the Packa and the Parcho, and while I’ve never owned the
Packa I prefer the features of Parcho.  They are much the same creatures – I
could easily use and be pleased with either -- but they differ in a few
design details that are significant to me:

1) The lower skirt of Packa is smaller in diameter than Parcho.  Being loose
aids ventilation and – significantly -- in the Parcho I can sit cross-legged
and be totally covered.

2) The arms of the Packa are relatively narrow and jacket-like, and to
ventilate they install pit-zips.  I’m not a big fan of zippers anywhere
because they are prone to fail or wear out, and they add weight where it can
be avoided.

3) The Packa’s arms have traditional cuffs which also limit ventilation, and
it is likely the hand can’t easily be withdrawn into the end of the sleeve
to keep the hands out of the rain.  If the hand can be withdrawn into the
sleeve it would be at the cost of grasping effectiveness.  The Parcho does
not have a snug cuff so ventilation is improved.  Also, a point of the end
of Parcho's sleeve does a good job covering the hand while grasp is not
affected.  A sewed-in strap across one’s palm near the end of the sleeve
keeps the hand coverage in place.

4) Parcho’s loose, triangular-shaped sleeves allow one’s hands to be quickly
and easily withdrawn inside the body of the garment.  This provides instant
accessibility to pockets, belt packs, cameras, pack straps, etc.  I
particularly value the ability to withdraw and prepare my camera in a dry
environment. It does not appear that withdrawing one’s arms can be done into
the Packa, except maybe with some difficulty.

5) The inside front of the Parcho has two large breast pockets that are
fully protected from the rain.  I use these pockets for my handkerchief, my
snacks, and my gloves when I’m not wearing them, etc.  These pockets are
quickly accessible by withdrawing my arms from the sleeves.

6) Parcho is easy to put on:  Face the wind, grasp it by the shoulders
facing forward, swing it above the head while taking 1-2 steps forward, then
zip it up with hands either inside or outside.  Maybe that can also be done
with the Packa, but its snugger arms would make it more difficult and
possibility not worth the trouble.

I had wanted a Parcho but I didn’t make or buy mine:  I won it in a raffle
at the annual ALDHA-West Gathering.  The maker, Triple-Crowner Bill “Bilgy”
Gurwell, generously donated the Parcho for the raffle.  Thanks again, Bilgy.
Based upon my subsequent good results with Parcho I would defiantly make/buy
a replacement should anything happen to this first one.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09