[pct-l] Vibram 5 fingers; keeping feet dry

Dan Africk danstheman at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 22:16:37 CDT 2010

I was thinking of using the 5 fingers as well, since I recently got a pair
for running. I've found that my feet stay very moist since there is rubber
wrapped under and to the sides of my feet and toes. It's fine for running or
casual use, but so far my testing has shown that wearing them for just a few
hours while backpacking leaves my feet soggy from sweat. I've thought about
getting a larger size and using toe socks, but I figure at that point its
not much different than a regular shoe, and since the socks are thin I'd
have to change them often. Both the five fingers and the socks take longer
to put on and take off than shoes, and doing that several times a day might
get tedious.
I think I'll be using trail runners with liner socks plus thick hiking
socks. This system has always worked well for me(with boots anyway), since
the liners wick the moisture away to the thick socks. Still, I'd be
interested in what you find from your testing.

I think I'll also bring plastic bags or tyvek booties or waterproof socks
for the rainy days. I really like the tyvek idea, since they would also work
as a wind barrier in my mesh water shoes(which will also be my camp shoes)
on cold nights, and I've ditched my insulated booties. Maybe I'll have a
chance to test them out before I hit the trail. Thanks everyone, especially
Austin, for all the ideas. It sounds like wet feet are inevitable, and if so
I'll live with it, but I'm still going to do my best to minimize that. Wet
feet are more prone to get blisters, which I think is the biggest hazard we
face.