[pct-l] Antibiotics-another option

eckert jape1 at cox.net
Sun Mar 21 19:30:15 CDT 2010

Another option to consider for Giardiasis treatment is a drug called
tinidazole.  Wikipedia has a writeup on it, and a readable pharmacology
writeup can be found here:  *http://tinyurl.com/yhc2m4h* This version is
marketed by Mission Pharmacal and called Tindamax.  The dosage/course of
treatment for Giardiasis is one, 2g tablet.

 It's interesting to note that Pfizer makes Flagyl, and it also markets
tinidazole as Fasigyn.  I don't know about 2010, but the last time I
purchased Fasigyn, it was not available in the United States.  I suppose
Pfizer didn't want to market two competing drugs.  However, the Fasigyn
was readily available, over the counter without prescription in Mexico
and Canada, and online.  I think it was $7 for a box of 6 tablets in
Tijuana.

This is not a recommendation, but perhaps an option.  Despite my lack of
Sierra filtering, I have yet to require treatment for Giardia or even
"Hole-In-the-Head" (although my hiking buddies would swear otherwise).

eckert