[pct-l] Antibiotics

greg jacobs pcthiker08 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 21 18:34:44 CDT 2010

*The Doctor gave me Metronizadole for Giardiasis last year. This is the
generic name for Flagyl. The normal course of treatment was 3 pills a day
with meals for 7 days. It is crucial to continue the course of antibiotics
even though symptoms may dissappear due to the possibility of the creating
of antibiotic resistant strains of the parasite.
The most difficult part is you need a perscription to obtain
Flagyl/Metronizadole. I was lucky enough to have such an acute case that the
doc gave me a perscription without a bunch of tests and long waiting period.
It turns out I was still insured from my last job but did not know it so I
paid cash for the visit $99 and perscription $9.
I also carried Benedryl to combat any possible alergic reaction to the
antibiotic.
There was another antibiotic the doc originally perscribed that was 3 pills
at $300 dollars but would only kill off the Giardia and not ALL the good
bacteria as well.
Lucky for me Raley's pharmacy in S.Lake Tahoe only had the much cheaper
Metronizadole.
Interestingly Metronizadole is also widely availiable from pet/aquarium
stores as it is used to treat "Hole in the Head" disease in African Cichlid
fish.
Of Course the antibiotic availiable at the fish store is NOT rated for human
consumption. I would NOT recommend anyone use Metronizadole from the Pet
store.. Just go see a doctor and explain what you need the antibiotic for.
Cheers-Iceaxe
*
**
If you go to Cal Vet supply they have pharmaceutical grade metronizadole,
same stuff they perscribe you at the pharmacy