[pct-l] Southern CA Section E safety

Junaid Dawud jdawud at gmail.com
Fri Mar 19 13:04:35 CDT 2010

I found section E to be very enjoyable, but it did have some really
awful things about it that led me to jokingly call it section shit-E.

First some good stuff. It starts at hiker heaven, run by the saufleys.
For the uninitiated, I'll simply say that it's called hiker heaven for
a reason. I personally consider Donna Saufley to be an Arch Trail
Angel, and one of the nicest women you could ever meet. The lengths
they go to in order to provide an almost magical oasis in the desert
is unbelievable. For this reason I'd say that if you do section E, go
south so you can end there. The stretch between Agua Dulce and Casa de
Luna is hot and dry but it has a certain charm to it. And Casa de Luna
is another must stop, Joe and Terrie are an absolute riot. Wearing
aloha shirts and enjoying the mister in the back at the lunatic lounge
is awesome. Really there are only two types of hikers that go through
section E: those that stopped at casa de luna, and those that should
have. There is also hiker town, which is a welcome place to shade
yourself, shower, rest, and get ready to walk the aqua duct.

Now the bad part, IMHO, is everything north of hiker town. It is hot
and dry.  The aqua duct is boring and surreal.  Areas of the trail are
torn up by dirtbikes and atvs. It's really just not that nice.

Junaid