[pct-l] Leaving with the herd

gwschenk at socal.rr.com gwschenk at socal.rr.com
Fri Mar 19 11:41:57 CDT 2010

---- greg jacobs <pcthiker08 at gmail.com> wrote:
> *some things have come up and its looking like ill have to leave campo on
> sunday of the kickoff instead of the week before. Can anyone who has had the
> leave at the same time comment on what they found in the first couple of
> hundred miles with the local resupply stops*.
>
> so i guess i worded this wrong. what i was looking for was hikers experience
> with the herd effect on supplies at mt laguna and warner springs right after
> the kickoff. i imagine that they wipe it out pretty good. Any comments from
> past experiences would be great. My current strategy was to just pick up a
> few things in these places.

My girlfriend and I left with the Herd at the kickoff last year. I carried enough food to get us to Warner Springs. We could easily have resupplied at Mt. Laguna. They had plenty of canister fuel, despite what some reports stated.

We spent the night there, had our laundry done and had a great time eating baloney sandwiches, drinking beer and watching Turner Classic Movies.

We mostly hiked alone. We met up with other folks at water holes, but mostly we were on our own.  We camped alone, with the exception of Scissors Crossing. There was a big group camped closer to the water cache. We camped by the bridge with only Backfire for company.

BTW, does anybody know if Backfire finished?

Gary