[pct-l] Some knowledge and advice needed

Gideon Scher gideonscher at gmail.com
Fri Mar 19 05:26:43 CDT 2010

Hi to all

After being stuck in the rat race and mind numbing routine for too long I
have decided to quit my job and come to the US to hike the PCT. I feel the
need to get out into nature, to disconnect from the unhealthy day to day
routine. I need the time, space and perspective.

Unfortunately the very trappings of the life I am trying to extract myself
from, will only allow me to start my journey from mid-May onwards. I grew up
in South Africa and although I have considerable hiking/outdoor experience I
have noticed from reading all your mails that I lack the local knowledge of
the trail and the connected logistics of long distance hiking. My later
arrival in the US will prevent me from attending the ADZPCTKO and
gaining valuable tips and info. My Mom lives in Palo Alto next to
S.Francisco and I will be flying to there  and using this as a base from
which to plan.

Is there anyone out there who lives close by who would be willing to sit
with me for a few hours and help me understand the local geography, resupply
options and different weather/snow limitations and different sections of the
trail?? I would be happy to reimburse anyone for their time and expertise.
Although I could just start the trail at a suitable point and work things
out as I learn, I know that a few well spent hours of listening and learning
could save me many hours of misspent energy and anxiety on the trail.

I would hate to miss this unique opportunity. I know that if I dont do it
now the chance may slip through my fingers and I would forever regret it.

THANK YOU !
Gideon