[pct-l] Pack weight

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 18 20:12:27 CDT 2010

Adam wrote:

Ya well it seams that a lot of my weight is coming from the clothing.
I do have a 850 fill down bag, Western Mountaineering ultralite. My
sleeping, cooking and shelter are crazy light but I can't seem to
shake it down even lower. I just feel like 13lbs is still too heavy.
Like I should be at 11lbs.

Warning: this will be a highly biased opinion that you should probably just
ignore.

IMHO, I think 12-13 lbs is about the minimum weight you can have while still
carrying all the categories of stuff that you really ought to have in order
to be prepared for every condition you might reasonably expect to run into.
In order to get lower than about 13 lbs, you probably need to start
eliminating entire categories of gear (which I don't recommend doing).

I base this statement entirely on the highly scientific evidence that *my*
gear weight is about 13 pounds and when I look at each individual piece of
gear, there aren't any significantly lighter versions I could upgrade to and
I'm not willing to get rid of any piece entirely.

Of course, there are plenty of people who will tell you I'm full of it, so
make of that what you will.  <grin>

Eric